The Douglas County Master Gardeners obtain trusted research based gardening information from the Kansas State University Horticulture and Natural Resources department. Most of the information shown below can be found on their Horticulture Resource Center website.
Check out this list of resources that are helpful for both newbie gardeners and those who have an established garden.
Fruits and Veggies:
- Growing Fruits and Veggies – Walks you through all the steps of starting a new garden.
- The Kansas Garden Guide – The best information on growing veggies in Kansas!
- K-State publications about fruits and vegetables – There are lots of detailed publications about any fruit or veggie topic, including how to make your own compost!
- K-State Gardening Hour – sign up for online gardening presentations from K-State.
- You can also sign up for online, or in person, educational gardening presentations in Douglas County.
- Horticulture Newsletter – A weekly newsletter filled with timely information on basic plant care along with any disease or pest issues that may be appearing throughout the state.
- Recommended Plants for Kansas – If you are a new gardener wondering what to plant, or are looking for new ideas in your established garden, this provides the information you need.
- Common Plant and Pest Problems – Wonder what is causing those spots on a plant? You can find out what disease or bug is causing the spots and how to deal with it.
- K-State Facebook – follow them for up to date gardening information. Below are a few of the videos they have posted. Watch for new posts weekly.